Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Tuesday, March 31, 2020

More leaps for Walter



My followers are really getting happy watching the progress Walter is making. Who doesn't like a Rocky story where the Grumpiest Old Cat slowly-over a year-takes tiny steps, along with steps back, to reach a level of trust with another creature, in this case, me.

Today I was able to pet Walter's back and tail. If you watch both videos you will see him push his face into me-a true sign of marking and trust. When I come in the room, he watches me as usual, but it is more of a "Are you coming over here soon to pet me?" look.

I'm just so proud of his willingness to wait it out, and mine too I guess. So, don't give up on any creature. It took Paco the donkey almost two years to settle.

I so wanted to put my face into his today, but refrained. I don't do that with all the cats, they each have their own boundaries, but I just so wanted to hold him. Maybe in time, maybe not.

Meanwhile, I talk to Lemon every day and am not pushing him, but will see if we get further than we have, maybe we won't, and that is fine, it might jut be what his comfort level is and he doesn't really want some raggedy lady singing Puff the Magic Dragon to him.