Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Great Grandmother Kate's apron


Today Pino received an apron from western Oregon. We especially liked the stamps and small scribbles of her sons on the package...I guess I didn't mention Pino saves the stamps, did I? That's a whole 'nother blog, "Pino's Stamp Collection" [please, stop me from doing that].

Anyway, I just had to share this sweet story of this apron. Shannon wrote a nice letter explaining that her family of Eastern Oregon just celebrated their 100th homestead year on their family's cattle ranch. Her grandmother still lives there, and in preparing for their celebrations they came across a lot of old aprons of her GREAT grandmother Kate. So she sent this lovely apron [back when the normal size was a 6 or 8.] It's a wonderful vintage lime green. I'm not sure I can part with it. I hope Kate is around for pie day, watching that it goes to someone special.

Shannon also wrote that she reads my blog because it "inspires her to dream out loud" about one day having a small farm to raise her boys and a place where"creativity, animals and humans come together." She said she cherishes her memories of her Grandma Betty's ranch - this is the wonderful thing about the internet- when it works it works well. I of course was lucky to have my Uncle Clayton's farm in North Dakota, and the place soaked into my blood and heart. It moved me to get where I am today, even though it took into my late 40's.

So it's just nice to get letters like this...Thank you Shannon.

3 comments:

farmlady said...

How nice of Shannon to send such a special apron. I wish I had some of the aprons that my grandmas and their families wore. I can still picture how they looked and how much they wore them. I can still see my great aunt carrying fruit and veggies (into the house, from the garden) in her apron. She would always carry things that way even baby kittens.

Apifera Farm said...

See, there is such memory wrapped up into objects. They always say an object can't be loved- but I think objects have energy that is immersed in them, and that is transferable. Why else does it bring me comfort to wear my dad's old sweater, or for all of us to 'feel' things of the past we need and want with us now - like your apron memory.

Thanks for sharing.

Blackfeatherfarm said...

This is why I LOVE vintage things, so much life and history for the "things" to tell.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~