Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Friday, March 13, 2009

Chatter to paper


I continue to work on my new series "Be of Service"....these little characters bring me happiness, and my own inner ramblings are quieted, but the character's chatter takes over instead.

It's close to 60 today, with sun. The rains might return over weekend, so I am taking advantage of the weather and will get the barn back in shape after the chaos of the last 2 weeks. I feel like I'm still mending, like I gave birth myself, 5 times. I guess in a way I did. By Monday I plan to be back at the drawing board, and writing table. This weekend I'll start shots for the lambs, do spring worming and hope to put names to all the new lambs. Rosie's orphan spends his days with the young flock, a loner, and is way behind, but is making gains. I still bring him in at night, but this weekend that might change if he shows proper gains in strength.

My sister-in-law sent some seed packs, and I think I will spread some on Rosie and Coral. There is comfort in tending a grave, I have learned that over and over. Sadly, we are distant from our dead in this current society. We do not clean them when they die or carry them to the hole if buried. There is an importance to this ritual. While it is not reasonable to think we can all bury our dead [I for one will be cremated], the process of preparing a grave for burial is an important transformation for both dying and caregiver.