Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Wednesday, October 08, 2008

New ideas and inspiration!

A quick update - I'm pretty excited. Emma has followed Donkey Dreams, our farm and my art and is also a hospice worker here in a large, well known, health care organization in Oregon. She came to our summer Pie Day, and we promised to re-connect and brainstorm about ways to develop Donkey Dreams.

My initial idea of bringing the sick and dying to the farm, via their hospice workers, was well intentioned, but not very practical. And the families caring for dying or sick are not going to put a donkey therapy session on their list of things that might help them or their loved ones. In fact, it might be an insult to someone to be invited to a donkey pie day for a day of relaxation. Seeing my mom go through hospice while my father died at home brought this home to me.

But, honoring the hospice workers is a wonderful, wonderful idea! Emma shared some of her thoughts and experiences as a hospice worker, and how one is so busy care taking, there is little room for debriefing, re-energizing the heart and grieving for their own clients. Their grief and stress builds up. We thought a day to celebrate the care they give to others, as well as recognizing their former and current clients, would help them on many levels.

So, I will begin to write an outline for a 'support and healing event' here at Apifera with our Donkey Dreams. I'm thinking it will be in summer or early fall '09. I have many ideas brimming in my head! This event might also benefit children and adults that are going through post-death grieving of a loved one, as Emma's hospice group often works with the Dougy Center, a national organization that provides grief support for children and teens.

I hadn't thought about giving donkey and farm therapy to the caregivers, and now, it seems so wonderful, and right, and obvious. Thank you, Emma!! This is a first step for me to build trust and a working relationship with these hospice caregivers at this organization. Stay tuned. It will take some time, but I must remember, donkeys do everything very s...l...o...w...l...y.

18 comments:

Cathy said...

What a wonderful idea, Katherine!

treehousejukebox said...

I think both of these ideas (donkey time for the hospice workers and for bereaved family members) are wonderful!

Mary Beth said...

What beauty lies in your sweet soul! I'm just breath taken.

I teach in a rural and impoverished area. Thus, I tend to the needs of children who are living in women's shelters. If I may be so forward, might you be willing thinking of offering donkey time to these children who so despreately need healing, connection, and a chance to feel safe?

Apifera Farm said...

Thanks everyone. I find this is evolving and it will take time to build up trusting relatinionships. I like the idea, Mary Beth - the key again is ffinding teachers/caregivers that 'get it'. I have only been in this area for 4 years, am an 'outsider'and find I do my best networking through my art that leads to contacts. But the farm is helping me connect to. Connecting to women's shelters, to be honest, I had not thought of. And it is a good idea! I will add it to the growing list of dreams. Thank you for suggesting it.

MuseSwings said...

Congratulations on your Blog of Note! It is a blog of note - wonderful things going on here!

The villager: said...

Good luck with your work. We have a donkey sanctuary not far from us at Leeds, England that also works with disabled children

Amy Evans Streeter said...

OMG, You're a Blogger.com blog of note!!! Congratulations! Hope a''s swell on the farm. XO!

ajree said...

Congrats on your Blogs of Note.

www.jokingright.blogspot.com

Cosmic Connie said...

Congratulations on making Blogs Of Note. Being rather self-absorbed and busy with my own blog, I usually don't follow the Blogs of Note links, but I was attracted by the name, "Donkey Dreams." Earlier this year my partner Ron and I moved from Houston, Texas to a lovely rural area about 50 miles away from the big city. We love it, and have been talking seriously of adding a couple of miniature donkeys to our family. So I'm very interested in reading anything and everything I can about them.

But I see that your sites are about so much more than donkeys. You seem like a wonderful example of someone who really cares and is actually doing something to make a positive difference in people's lives. So... congratulations for that too!

[I was just thinking how I am humbled by reading about the good things you're doing, and what do you know... the word verification that came up was humbl. :-)]

Seedoink said...

i tend to got much pulp within here...such a terrific accurancy...i'd just dr0ppin' by to give you a big applauses...you're approach...great!!!

Muhammad Azli Shukri said...

i saw the best blog here.

sanjit said...

congratulations!

Sassy Scrubs.com said...

What a wonderful idea to help others through the spirit and gentle nature of your donkeys. I've always loved miniature donkeys and will someday add a pair to our family. Good luck with your plan!

Seval Unver said...

hi, i visited your blog, it was amazing:)

Blog Sisters said...

Congrats on becoming Blog of Note. Your steadfast faith is strong and you will be rewarded.
Keep up the wonderful work.

Have you heard the story of Randy Pausch? Feel free to visit our posting on this incredible individual. I'm even giving away his book and herbal tea
as a prize and little inspiration.

http://aboutaliciagrecco.blogspot.com

Continued success. Alicia for Blog Sisters

Dan G said...

I think everything you're doing is so powerful. Sharing the beauty of this lovely animal with others brings such joy to the world. Thank you for all that you're giving and creating.

Dan

Loong said...

What a wonderful idea, pino...
But aren't we suppose to forget the sad stuff and focus on the happy stuff?
Just wondering...

Rocky Ana said...

very nice and attractive..good job

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~