Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Friday, July 25, 2008

Chicken Poet



Inspired by Cowboy Dan, the painter attempts to write a poem about Ward the rooster...have you ever tried to take a 'self portrait with chicken' while holding a chicken? I have my own unique way of rhyming in chicken. I will not quit my painting job.

Sitting with my chicken
on any given day,
might appear to be a boring act
if you took our expressions as fact.

For when I sit with Ward
my rooster with wounded leg,
I stroke his flat ears and neck
examining feathers of grey fleck.

This causes my mouth to relax
and my eyes to cloud with calm
and makes my bold rooster close both eyes
just like a creature as he dies.

So if you came upon me and my chicken
as we sat in silent repose,
you might just shake your head and say
'What a most terrible waste of the day.'

And though Ward and I would differ
with such an unqualified remark
I'd remain calmly sitting
and prepare these words so fitting,

"Shhhhh", I would whisper to you,
"My Ward is within a dream"
And disgusted you would walk away
Leaving me and my chicken with a perfect day.