Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cultural restrictions


I was inspired by an article I read recently on women in Muslim cultures trying to break out of the restrictions put on them by their cultures. I have empathy and respect for them. And I give thanks for being free from any one man or church or country.

To those who have asked if Paco has more stories to tell me, he did, but he is slowly transcribing them. I hope to illustrate some for later posts. He said it was a very personal journey for him, and he does not want to be rushed, so I will respect that. In the meantime, he inspired some of the animals to write letters to the new President, and I have been asked to retype them and edit them, so I'll be busy doing that. Frankie is wondering if perhaps she is more suited to have the name Sasha, but I encouraged her that her current name is much more fitting for her unique personality.